Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Choose Happiness!

Valerie’s Happy Restroom

Recently I flew into the airport in Charlotte North Carolina to catch a connecting flight to Costa Rica. While in the airport I was having lunch and then it happened. I noticed a woman coming through the dining area cleaning tables. There was something different about her. She cleaned the tables like Picasso would paint a master piece and with just as much passion. Not only that, she was dancing and singing while doing so. Not dancing and singing like someone who just wanted attention. She did it from a soul level; she was truly a happy person.

I noticed as she went through the dining area cleaning, dancing, and singing that everyone around just lit up. People sitting reading their newspaper or on their laptops all of the sudden stopped looked up and smiles popped up on everyone’s faces like a field of flowers opening their blooms. After I completed my lunch I had to meet this woman. I walked up to her and said. Excuse me, I was having a good day however since I have seen you I’m having a great day. What is your name? She responded with joy and pride “Valerie”.

I then asked her why she was so happy. She said “If you can’t have fun at work don’t go”. She explained that happiness is a choice and that she chooses to be happy and chooses her attitude. She followed up with the fact that she had worked in the airport for two years and she started as a restroom attendant. Not a position that most people would be happy about. Not Valerie though she not only chose her attitude she called her restroom, Valerie’s Happy Restroom. She even posted clips on You Tube. She was than promoted to the dining areas because her supervisors felt like she would come into contact with more people.

I asked Valerie if I could have a hug and she gave me a hug that was so strong it would embarrass a grizzly bear. I asked her if I could take a picture of her and she agreed without hesitation. Valerie then told me that she wouldn’t be in the dining area the next time I came through the airport in Charlotte. I asked why? She said that a company in the airport heard about her attitude and joyful spirit and they hired her to be their organizations customer service representative. WOW! Talk about your attitude determining your altitude. Valerie not only affected the lives of anyone that came into contact with her she also affected her own. Valerie promoted herself from the restroom to the dining room to customer service representative for a large company.

Ask yourself this question; what impact is your attitude having on your life and the lives of the people you come into contact with? You can choose!

LIVE OUT LOUD!!!

No comments: