Monday, April 19, 2010

What's your Bucket List?

We have all heard of the bucket list. That's that list of things that you want to do before you die. I was really moved by the Movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman titled "The Bucket List". After watching it I pondered what my bucket list was. I started to think about things that I wanted to accomplish, places I wanted to travel, things that I wanted to learn, and people I would like to meet. Then it came to me, instead of emptying the the bucket I wanted to create a fill the bucket list.

Isn't life really about the journey not the destination. It's the ride that's most exciting. Accomplishing goals is only one small piece to life. Sure you get that sense of completion and accomplishment. But then what? For me owning or acquiring more STUFF is not important at all. When you are on your death bed will you think about all the stuff you had? Or will you think about relationships, experiences, travel, your contribution to your family, community, and the world?

Think of the times when you went somewhere you have never been. When you experienced something like a roller coaster ride for the first time. When you did something totally selfless for another person without expecting anything in return. That's the most meaningful way to fill your bucket.

Life Lesson:

  1. Make a list of things that you can fill your bucket with.
  2. Break it down into people, places, and things, with more emphasis on the first two.
  3. Next to each one write down the feeling you will experience when you put them in your bucket.

Now get started! Remember if you don't take the time to do the lessons then you are no closer to filling that bucket.

No comments: