Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Power Of Three.

For years I have had that things to do list in my planner and always ended up feeling a bit frustrated at the end of the day when reviewing what I really got checked off. The list was always too long, and pretty much unrealistic in reference to getting things done. I decided that less is more and adopted the idea of The Power of Three. I still have my things to do list, however I have three things and only three things to accomplish on it in order of priority.

Number one being the most important item that needs to get done. If I only get that done then the feeling I link to it is one of satisfaction and accomplishment. Number two then becomes number one and I add one more to the list. After working this idea for a period of time I realized that it was effective in many different areas of my life.

In my business I have the three foot rule for customer service. When I train my staff I explain to them that we want to condition our clients that three feet before they walk into our business they should start to experience good feelings and a sense of positive anticipation. After taking three steps into the business we as staff members should have confirmed that expectation with how we greet them. When interacting with anyone we want to

The Power of Three also works well with personal relationships at home. When you get home, what happens in the first three minutes pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the evening. If you are in a relationship, how you interact with that other person in the first three minutes is crucial. Do you walk in and look around for things to complain about or do you say " I am glad to see you". That makes the difference.

Another area the Power of Three works is Mind, Body, and Spirit. When it comes to mind I often ask people; What was the last book that you read? The response is many times one of confusion. I also ask what are they learning. Whether it is playing the guitar, painting, taking a college course, or learning a new language. Learning new things expands you as a human being. Become a lifetime learner. Remember if you are not expanding then you are contracting. Come up with three things that you could learn to expand your mind. Take one at a time.

When it comes to body. What physically are you doing to be active, eat better, and create the energy that helps you to be more enthusiastic about life in general. The nutrition and exercise industry is a multi billion dollar a year industry. One of the things it does not focus on is what is practical for you. It could be walking everyday for twenty minutes. Very often when I work one on one with students I ask them; How many push ups do you do everyday? The response many times is none or I am not good at push ups. Well could you do three push ups a day? Could you make three healthy food choices? Start small, but be consistent.

The Human Spirit needs to be constantly renewed. It reminds me of Eagle behavior. Most people don't realize that when eagles fly at lower altitudes they are constantly being attacked by crows pecking at them. The fact is, that an eagle could clearly focus on pursuing the crows and kill them. However the eagles strategy is to fly to a higher altitude that the crows cannot reach. What inspires you to fly to a higher altitude? It could be your faith, reading inspiring literature, or that green time of getting closer to nature. Find out what that is for you and make sure you do it when your spirit feels weakened. I think you will see the difference.

No comments: